Monday, November 2, 2009

Weekend away in Gulu

Hi All,
 
  So on Thursday, I decided it was time to break out of Kampala and make a dash for the north to visit my Gulu Gurls!  Friday morning, bright and early, I left on the post bus for Gulu.  On the way there, I saw my first squirrel (I"m still amazed by that) right next to a monkey- pretty sweeet!!  I spent Friday afternoon walking around Gulu with Cait!  It was SOOO nice to be reunited with my buddies!!  Friday night we went bar-hopping, which was pretty exciting!  I really haven't been out here...the one time I really tried I ended up in the hospital, so it was good to finally get out there!!  We started out at 'Da Pub", then headed to Green Valley where we danced and danced to some crazy 90's music and then back to Da Pub and then to Havanna Club.  It was a ton of fun!!!  A quick observation about nightlife: only men go out.  It's amazing- at Green Valley there were probably 15 women there...MAX and the place was PACKED with men!!!!  When I went to get a beer a while ago with my host-brother I noted that there were only four women in the whole bar and he said that if women go out then they're probably prostitutes, that women really don't go to bars, etc.  HUH?  I still don't understand, but it was definitely an experience!!!

Saturday we had a lazy day!  So wonderful!  We got breakfast at this cute little cafe and then headed to Gulu Market to find Halloween costumes!!!  I found the absolute best costume EVER: a Louis Vutton MOOO MOOOO!!  (Pics to come)  Amazing.  Then we headed to the orphanage where Crevi and Kathleen are staying.  They're living in the orphanage's guesthouse which is AMAZING!  I had THE MOST AMAZING shower EVER!!!  Seriously. I almost cried, it was sooo beautiful!!!  Nap time in my Mooo MOOOO and then back to town to get ready for the Halloween party at the Invisible Children house!!  It was a lot of fun, lots of mzungus and they were dressed to the nine's.  Pretty impressive!!!

It was such a treat to get to visit the Gulu Gurls!!!!  Now...back to work in Kampala!!!!

Hope you're having a great day!

<3cm

Sunday was another lazy day!  We pretty much spent the whole day chilllin' at the orphanage and enjoying their wireless, shower, and beds!  :)  Monday morning- I was gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment