Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Things i Love: Uganda Edition

Hi ALL!

              Five (ish) years ago, Mom, Meagan and I were on a random adventure somewhere in Connecticut when we stopped at a Barnes and Noble.  Normally we don’t buy books (hey, the library’s free!!) but for some reason we decided to treat ourselves that day!  It was wonderful and we had a ball!  We ended up with some random books, including this small, thick book that was just a huge list of all the things the author loved.  She had started it in middle school and had filled many journals with things she loved!  I loved that idea and started a list of my own!  It’s something that I update every once in awhile and when I am having a blah-day I refer to to refresh myself! …and it works! 

                So the other day I was having a Blah-Uganda Day…I was peeved at the taxis, at being called “mzungu” all day, at being so far away from my friends and family- you name it, it was getting me down.  At that moment, I really wanted my list from back home to update, but it’s on my other computer so I realized I would just have to start another one and I decided to dedicate this one completely to Things I Love about UGANDA!!  Here’s a little snippit:


·         Bananas
·         Weather- cool breezes
·         Balcony on my room
·         G-nut paste with sim-sim
·         The way Ugandans say ‘Uganda”
·         People who are passionate about their country
·         Sunsets
·         Random rains and the coolness afterwards
·         “Boda Boda.  Boda WHAT? ….Boda.”
·         Fanta LIMON
·         When people question my American status- “you aren’t from the UK?”
·         Not being carded
·         Obama everywhere!
·         Watching the Marabou Storks
·          “Funny, Funny, ____”
·         “a small friend” – girlfriend
·         Preoccupation with weddings
·         Looking “smart”
·         Lack of sarcasm
·         Telling a joke and everyone not getting it
·         Chipati
·         Preston’s dancing
·         Shades of Sin
·         Bell Beer
·         Rolexes (chipati with a fried egg inside)
·         An apple with peanut butter- what a treat in this country
·         Juicy Fruit chicklettes
·         My toast in the morning
·         People preoccupation with “Blue Band”
·         Men holding hands
·         Good lecturers
·         Entebbe
·         Lake Victoria
·         Whizzing by on a bus with the window open
·         No traffic jams in the morning
·         Old Vespas
·         Watching the crazy outfits for sale as we drive by
·         All the shoes that get laid out at night
·         The HUGE buses and trucks that whiz by on Bomba Road at night!!!!
·         Knowing where I’m going
·         Being lost with nowhere to go
·         How easy (at times) it is to forget that I’m so far away from home
·         A good, non-scary plate of Beans & Rice
·         Getting a package (must be universal!)
·         The way Bebidi says “PresTON”
·          “You are welcome” as a greeting
·         Men wearing obviously women’s clothing and vice versa
·         Bounty- coconut and chocolate candy bar!!!  J
·         X-ray souvenirs
·         Riding Boda-Bodas in rural areas
·         Ugandan marching (Independence Day 2009)
·         Queenie- my new name!


So there’s a bit of my list of things I love about this country!  On that note: I hope you are having an amazing day full of things you love!

<3cm

 


No comments:

Post a Comment