Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Start of Classes

Hey All,

So much has happened…but I’ll start with the rest of my birthday!! We went to the hotel and then it started to DOWNPOUR!!!! WE were all getting so wet and then finally they let us come into the lobby, from the outside eating area. We were all huddled in a group, as one-by-one they called out the student to meet his or her family. One-by-one, everyone else left. And then there was me.

Suddenly…my Host Mom showed up!! Her name is Barbara and she is a businesswoman. She has 6 kids and 2 grandkids. Her daughter, Helen, and grandson, Preston (3 yrs) were there. Preston is my new best friend!! He has TONS and TONS of energy, but is super sweet!! We hang out a lot! Our house is in Ntinda and is pretty close. It is two stories and has a kitchen and bathroom. (more on that later). I also have my own bedroom with a twin-sized bed and wooden chair. BONUS: there’s a balcony!

Yesterday, was my first morning in my homestay! I had a piece of bread and butter and then headed out to the taxi stand with my Host-Mom. The taxi stand is a three minute walk from our house- so super easy!! J We got into the taxi and went on our way! My commute will be about 20-minuetes, with traffic and costs 500 shillings (a quarter). Other people have to take two taxis and cost around 2,000 shillings- so mine is super nice!!

We had our Luganda lessons in the morning. My class has eight in it and our teacher, Dennis, is very nice!! Next: two lectures- one on the history of Uganda and the other on Geography and Ethnic Groups. Both were interesting. The second lecturer was super neat. He’s a professor of geography, but is very interested in birth planning and served in the Parliament for 10 years. He spoke to us a lot about the Opposition and it was fascinating to hear such a direct lecture. He also sang the national anthem for us: beautiful!!

Last night I had great conversations with my host family! They’re very nice and Hellen and I had a great conversation about Obama and the US and terrorism (pretty deep.) I also took my first “bucket-bath”. Quite a talent that I hope I will eventually truly acquire!!!

Today: we’ve had Luganda and a lesson on Development Theory. Another lesson on Development Theory will follow and then home!

Hope everything in the States is going well!

Miss you all!

<3cm

1 comment:

  1. CMCG the statement that you have never had a bucket bath is false! You've had a Chuj bath... quite the intimate guatelovin time with me and Lisa!

    Guate<3
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete