Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hygeine

Hi All!

I figured I’d write a bit on hygeine in Uganda, as it is quite different from home. Our house is pretty nice and we have flush toilets and a bathroom, but there is no water in the house. So, our bathroom, which is on the first floor, has a toilet, tub, and sink. Also, in the corner is a large Jerry can filled with water. For some reason, Ugandan toilets don’t have regular seats- odd. When you use the toilet, in order to flush you have to fill the tank up with water from the jerry can. Then you flush. If it doesn’t go down, you have to do it again and also pour water directly into the bowl to push it down, as there is little water pressure. Sweet…so now we’re flushed the toilet. Let’s go bathe!

To shower, you boil water first and then put it into a tub in the bathtub. Then you add some cold water from the jerry can and you’re in business. Next…hop into the tub and start splashing yourself with water. In order to wash your hair you had to practically put your head into the tub and get it all wet. To finish off, you can pour all the water over you. That’s my favorite part! It feels so refreshing! J

Brushing my teeth is kind of easy. I bring a bottle of water with me to bed and there’s this random sink in our hallway upstairs. I just pour water onto the tooth brush, brush and then use water to clean off the brush.

So that’s hygeine in Uganda, so far. I might have some extra little tid-bits on our eastern Uganda rural homestay! Either way…it’s one big Welcome to Africa moment! J

No comments:

Post a Comment